Sunday, May 24, 2009

YUM! cooked baby spinach!

Lots of people might be thinking "YUCK!" That's because when they last ate cooked spinach it was an unpleasant experience. That's how I used to feel. I used to only eat raw spinach and I didn't like that very much either. One reason cooked spinach is gross to a lot of people is because nobody ever knew what tasted good with spinach. One common ingredient is ginger. I love ginger but there can be too much. Ginger and spinach alone together is not the best idea in the world. I'm going to tell you my delicious and nutritious way of cooking spinach.

Ingredients

2 cups of fresh baby spinach

1/2 Tsp of olive oil

1 Tsp of garlic

1 tsp of lemon zest

1/2 Tsp of ginger (optional)

1/2 tsp of salt

a tiny bit of black pepper



First step is washing and drying the spinach so that it's safe to eat. Next turn on the stove and grease the pan with your olive oil. Finely chop the garlic and zest the ginger. Put that into the pan. While the ginger and garlic are browning quickly zest a lemon. Once the garlic is a light golden brown add the lemon zest and half of the spinach. Stir until the spinach shrinks then add the rest. Once all of the spinach has shrunk and turned a dark green color turn off the heat and add the salt and pepper.



olive oil is so much healthier than butter or any other non stick product. It's full of good fats that make your skin beautiful. Garlic adds so much flavor and is also very healthy. Ginger is very good for you but it's optional because not everyone likes it. The lemon zest adds a very light, fresh flavor to it in contrast with the garlic. The reason I add half the spinach at first is because raw spinach is big and takes up all of the space in my pan. When spinach cooks it shrinks. When spinach is cooked right it should be a fresh forest green color. It should have NO black or brown.

I hope you enjoy this extremely delicious and nutritious recipe as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment